Android: An Open Handset Alliance (OHA) Project

Android promises to be the first complete, open and free mobile broadband platform.

In this WCAI session, Google and Motorola described how Android will break down barriers to building innovative applications and thereby offer consumers a richer wireless experience. The main message was that the Android "open mobile ecosystem" will encourage software development of many new applications for mobile devices. Interest has picked up substantially since Android became open source.
 
Eric Chu, Google’s marketing manager for the Android Mobile Platform (based on Linux), stated that Application developers and chip and handset manufacturers are happy with the Android platform and the marketplace, especially since Android was made open source following the introduction of the G1 phone by T-Mobile USA last month (October 2008). Google held back from open-sourcing Android until after the first Android handset shipped, and some handset and semiconductor makers had questions about Google’s commitment to open-sourcing until it made the move, Chu said. Since then, Google has seen a surge of interest, he said. "There were a lot of people waiting in the wings," Chu said. A true open-source community is now building around the Android platform itself, with nearly 50 contributions from outside parties so far, including comments on code and drivers from chip companies, he said. The typical Android phone user has already downloaded 14 new applications, according to Chu.
 
Motorola announced last week it would focus its future handset development on Windows Mobile and Android. The company still belongs to the LiMo Foundation, an industry group for mobile Linux, and will continue to make LiMo-compliant phones through the end of this year, said Rick Hartwig, Director of Marketing for emerging communications at Motorola. He wouldn’t commit to anything beyond that but said Motorola sees part of the value of Android in the fact that it is based on Linux. He did say that Motorola would have an Android phone on the market for the 2009 Christmas shoppng season.
 
Chu called the Android Marketplace the "killer app" of the platform, saying developers have been happy with the channel, which currently offers all applications free. Once developers can charge for their software, a change expected in the first quarter of next year, 70 percent of the revenue will go to the developers, Chu said. Of the remaining 30 percent, a small portion (maybe 2 or 3%) will cover the cost of the transaction, such as credit-card transaction fees, and the rest will go to the mobile operator, he said.
 
Developers have been happy with the statistics on downloads form the Marketplace, as mobile data use has been very high on the G1, Chu said. Google has seen "huge spikes" in activity as consumers use the browser, Google Maps, and various Google and third-party services, he said, without giving specific numbers.
 
Google expects to get help from outside developers in keeping Android secure, Chu said. The company has built a process for handling reports of flaws and quickly fixing them, uploading patches and having them downloaded to handsets, he said. All G1 phones have gotten an over-the-air software patch for a hole announced last week that security researchers said might allow a user’s sensitive information to be stolen, Chu pointed out.
 
References:
 
Report: Google, Open Handset Alliance Off to a Promising Start with Android,  Mae Kawalke
http://gadgets.tmcnet.com/topics/gadgets/articles/45379-report-google-open-handset-alliance-off-a-promising.htm
 
Android Apps Market Is a Hit, Google Says,
Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/153385/android_apps_market_is_a_hit_google_says.html
 
The Google Phone: Understanding Android, Michael Miller
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1274173

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept that my given data and my IP address is sent to a server in the USA only for the purpose of spam prevention through the Akismet program.More information on Akismet and GDPR.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.